Anointed or Appointed


 

Born and raised as a pastor's kid, I have heard all kinds of horror leadership stories. My father always said, "There's the anointed and there's the appointed." 

What does that mean?

There are people who are hired based on their resumes and those who are naturally gifted. Imagine buying a piece of art from someone based on their school background. Would you pay 100k for a piece of art you have never seen? I mean most wouldn't. Sure there is always an exception. but what if some man on the street corner just completely captivated you by his simple sketch of the skyline. It impacted you to stay and watch him finish or maybe even provoked an emotion. That is the same way leadership works.

There will be leaders who got promoted because, well, they have been here long enough they probably should be moved up by now. There is nothing wrong with them, but there is also nothing special about them. They aren't breaking walls down and smashing through ceilings but hey they show up right? 

Then there are the leaders who emerge out of nowhere. The ones who come in with ideas and solutions that cause a spark. The ones who move you to do better. The ones who bring the team together. The ones who bring excitement and energy that has been missed. 

So what is better, to be naturally gifted or to be willing to do the work to show up each day?

Well, I am not going to say both because you'd probably expect a politically correct answer like that.

There is a place for everyone. I truly mean that. HOWEVER, not every position is for everyone.

I have seen volunteer youth counselors do more damage to a teen who was looking for answers. They would have been better off if they had just sat there, listened, and said nothing. I have seen many employees excel in one department and fail miserably in leadership. Just because they can get themselves to the starting line each day doesn't mean they can lead others there. There are great community passionate people who make horrible candidates. 

That old lie that you can be anything you want to be is the worse thing we have ever been taught. We need to tell our kids there is a passion and purpose inside each of us, we are each gifted in our own lanes. 

I see women look at other women and want to compete in every field just because they can. You know there is nothing wrong with admitting you are a great CEO and maybe not meant to be a mom. There is nothing wrong with being a mom who cares for her kids and doesn't have to feel ashamed she isn't sitting on 50 nonprofit boards. There is nothing wrong with saying no. But where all humans go wrong, is the moment in which we feel we have to compete out of insecurity. I have been in that room where I look over and realize, you know what, this woman is WAY better at decorating sets and it would be insanity to insinuate I can compete on her level. The impact she had and the vision she created, evoked so many emotions as hundreds of kids entered that VBS program. My strength was capturing that in videos and photos. That was my place and the sets were hers. I am so grateful to have gotten to witness her creations and her vision. Not only will I hold onto it forever but so will my child. 

So why are we so threatened by someone who is more gifted in ONE lane? We react instead of acknowledging with pride that I GET to work with this amazingly gifted team.

How can we become more aware of our space and become masters of our own giftings?

I will give you 3 simple things I do as often as I can remember:

1. Keep journals, notes, picture books, and videos where you can reach often. There are days I I look through old cards and photos because I want to remember some really amazing things I have accomplished. I love to re-read words of encouragement when I feel like I have hit a defeating peak or feel like imposter syndrome is setting in. This gives me that, man, look at how far I have come and how much impact my life really has made. It's important to keep your feet grounded and your heart warm. Getting cold, jaded, and weak doesn't just affect you it affects everyone around you.

2. Physically write out lanes. By physically drawing out who is gifted/responsible for what you can remember and remind others to stay out of each person's lane. Be open to making shifts if you see someone is struggling with their project lane and may be more gifted in another lane.

3. Don't apologize for your gifting. If you are the one who is being attacked, isolated, or competed against simply because you are being you just keep going. People will always be insecure and petty but you are the one who gets to keep your head held high and not stoop to their level. If your talent is overlooked, remove yourself but whatever you don't stoop to their level.

I unfortunately live in a world where women are still only allowed to be one of two things. pretty or smart. Both are unfair to others. Teens especially struggle with this. They are trying to figure out who they are. Most often times adults can see natural gifting but kids by instinct just want to fit in. It's sad to say but even as adults this also exists. "I don't want to be that special because then my friends won't like me anymore if I get promoted over someone else." I promise you they wouldn't turn down the opportunity to shine over kicking you to the curb so don't dull yourself for the sake of false peace. 

If you are a naturally anointed human being who has been blessed with natural skill, be bold in that. No matter the cost that gift wasn't given to you lightly so put it to good use.

As leaders, keep your senses alert. Be open to seeing true, raw talent and be blessed to have it on your team. In politics, we would lose great potential future leaders over petty infighting. In church boards, I have seen thousands of lives impacted by someone who was willing to step forward and use their gift. So what kind of team do you want? One of anointed impact or appointed title fillers?



-Izzy Gentry

clvplanners.com

Comments

Popular Posts