How To Take Correction


Over the course of your career, you learn two things

1. You are better than people will give you credit for

2. You can always learn more, you never know enough

Pride or insecurity can keep you from either of these two things

I can always smell how well a business is really doing by how they walk into a marketing strategy meeting. If they come in guns blazing and start off with "I know a lot about marketing and I have been doing things myself just fine" kind of mentality I know they are struggling. If they come in and listen I know they don't care much about the specifics but more just want somebody to do it for them. If they come in and ask a lot of questions I know they are vetting and will compare logistics to competitors. 

The best meeting is by two teams (The Advisors and The Company) sitting down and having an ebb and flow conversation. Where education comes to light. You learn about the company in which you are representing and they learn about what is most effective to reach their ideal client. It isn't about biting and kneeing through a sales pitch. 

If the client is not willing to learn then they won't understand the benefits. And if the Strategist is not willing to listen they can not reach the expected results.

So why is it so hard to take insight and correction?

There is nothing lost in learning something you did not already know. I learn things from each meeting. Things about businesses I would never have known. Things about myself. Ways I communicated best and places I could grow. 

So where does a meeting all go wrong?

Let's look at the beginning of each day. 

Do you take corrections from management?

Are you willing to ask a co-worker for assistance?

Are you too stubborn to delegate, losing valuable time micromanaging?

Are you instinctually defensive?

Are you territorial of a client, project, or suggestion?

Do you give others rent-free space in your head over minuscule issues?

Have you tested your ability to focus on strengthening your weaknesses?

However, you answered those questions if there are more yes answers than no answers you need to spend some more time on yourself and less time on others. 

If you are this testy with your own team, walking into a sales approach with that mindset is murder.

You will find that you are defensive, overbearing, arrogant, and stirred up easily

If you are struggling with an insecurity you will find you are apologetic, unclear, stumbled, and come across as uninformed.

So how do you get from being aware of your strengths and weaknesses and making changes?

Ask yourself where is my focus today?

If your focus is distracted by things that do not reach you to your goal put them on a sticky and stick it in an envelope to deal with later.

If you are hesitant in asking for advice, direction or assistance then ask yourself this simple question every time you hesitate "What will happen if I do?" Most of the time the answer is nothing. Nothing horrible is going to happen if you ask for assistance or take some leadership. What will happen if you don't is frustration and lack of growth. 

I consider myself someone who is not brilliant in my abilities but I am quick to absorb information. So learning how to do something faster, more effective, speak with more clarity, or ask for the bigger close is of benefit to me. It doesn't showcase my inability to just know how to do those things it showcases my ability to grow with the company.

Tell me how I can be more effective in the workplace, a better example, more knowledgeable so I can help others, or just more efficient in my work.

Changing your mindset is a world of help when you are in a place of what feels like critique. Instead of looking at it as so and. so is always on my case, take the initiative to go them and ask how can I learn this better so that I am not being corrected so often.

Sometimes it is as simple as time management, more training opportunities, clearer instructions, or clearer expectations. All of which can be resolved in a proactive manner instead of a defensive reactive response.

Email me and let me know if these tips helped you content@clvplanners.com


Comments

Popular Posts